Training magazine Ranks 2014 Top 125 Organizations
Excelsior, MN (February 4, 2014)— Jiffy Lube International, Inc., accelerated into the top spot on the 2014 Training Top 125, while Keller Williams Realty, Inc., moved up to No. 2. CHG Healthcare Services took fourth place. Top 5 newcomers Capital BlueCross and Mohawk Industries, Inc., nabbed Nos. 3 and 5, respectively. This year, 27 newcomers cracked the Top 125 list.
Training magazine recognized the 2014 Training Top 125 winners with crystal awards and revealed their rankings during the Golden Gala—themed in honor of Training magazine’s 50th anniversary—held last night during the Training 2014 Conference & Expo at the San Diego Convention Center. The black-tie gala was sponsored by Advantexe, Allen Interactions, American Management Association, American Public University, Franklin Covey, Game On Learning, Godiva, Herrmann International, KESDEE Inc., Omnikron, Seiko, Sheppard Partners, the Training Top 10 Hall of Fame, Turning Technologies, and Vistage. Seiko served as the official timekeeper of the event.
Now in its 14th year, the Training Top 125 is the only report that ranks companies unsurpassed in harnessing human capital. Some applicant statistics of note:
- The mean revenue was $4.5 billion U.S. and $6.5 billion worldwide. The mean training budget was $24.3 million, representing 5.84 percent of payroll.
- The mean number of total employees trained per organization (including independent contractors and franchisees) was 31,079, with 16,577 trained in the classroom and 29,744 trained online. A mean of 451 courses were offered as instructor-led sessions; 1,709 were offered as online self-paced modules; and 165 were offered as virtual instructor-led classrooms.
- The average number of full-time and part-time trainers was 199 and 557, respectively.
- Some 99 percent of applicants have a tuition reimbursement program. A mean of 8 percent of eligible employees made use of tuition reimbursement programs in the last year. Median spend on tuition reimbursement programs was $400,000.
- Some 99 percent of applicants use employee satisfaction surveys, competency maps, and personal/individual development plans. Only 69 percent tie managers’ compensation directly to the development of their direct reports.
- On the evaluation side, 77 percent of applicants utilize Return on Value; 83 percent utilize Return on Investment; 79 percent utilize Balanced Scorecards; and 58 percent utilize Six Sigma. The Kirkpatrick Levels of Evaluation are more widely used: Level 1 (99 percent), Levels 2 and 3 (97 percent), and Level 4 (95 percent).
During the gala, Training inducted Verizon and Farmers Insurance into the Training Top 10 Hall of Fame after ranking in the Top 10 of the Training Top 125 companies for at least four consecutive years. Members remain in the Top 10 Hall of Fame for a minimum of three years. After that, they can choose to remain in the Hall of Fame by adhering to specific guidelines or they can opt to reapply for Training Top 125 consideration.
In addition, yesterday afternoon, Training recognized innovative and successful learning and development programs and practices utilized by the Training Top 125 winners. Best Practice and Outstanding Training Initiative winners received crystal trophies during a ceremony on the Expo Stage. They were:
BEST PRACTICE AWARD WINNERS
Automatic Data Processing, Inc.
Baylor Health Care System
CHG Healthcare Services
McCarthy Building Companies, Inc.
Valvoline Instant Oil Change
OUTSTANDING TRAINING INITIATIVE AWARD WINNERS
Discover Financial Services
First Data Corporation
First Horizon National Corporation
“The 2104 Training Top 125 winners did a stellar job of proving their training effectiveness with concrete results that helped achieve corporate strategic goals,” said Lorri Freifeld, editor-in-chief of Training magazine. “They demonstrated an organization-wide commitment to and passion for training that is to be commended. Congratulations to all the companies named to the 2014 Training Top 125.”
The Top 125 ranking is determined by assessing a range of qualitative and quantitative factors, including financial investment in employee development, the scope of development programs, and how closely such development efforts are linked to business goals and objectives.
Companies that wish to be considered for Top 125 ranking complete a detailed application, which is scored both quantitatively (70 percent of total score) by an outside research and statistical data company and qualitatively (30 percent of total score) by Training magazine editors and Top 10 Hall of Fame representatives.
For a profile of each of the Top 5 companies on the Training Top 125, additional information
about the training efforts of all 125 companies, details on the programs receiving Best Practice and Outstanding Training Initiative awards, and the Hall of Fame inductees, see the January/February 2014 issue. To order a copy or Training Top 125 merchandise, visit http://s5.goeshow.com/lakewood/top125gala/2014/pdf/Top%20125%20MerchForm.pdf. The digital edition and individual articles can be found online at http://www.trainingmag.com.
About Training magazine
Training is a 50-year-old professional development magazine written for training, human resources, and business management professionals in all industries that advocate training and workforce development as a business tool. Training also produces world-class conferences, expositions, and digital products that focus on job-related, employer-sponsored training and education in the working world. Training is published by Lakewood Media Group.
2014 Training Top 125 Winners
- Jiffy Lube International
- Keller Williams Realty, Inc.
- Capital BlueCross
- CHG Healthcare Services
- Mohawk Industries, Inc.
- McCarthy Building Companies, Inc.
- McDonald’s USA, LLC
- Coldwell Banker
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan
- DPR Construction
- Arkansas Best Corporation (ABF)
- Health Care Service Corporation
- Economical Insurance
- Savvis, A CenturyLink Company
- Paychex, Inc.
- Capital One
- BB&T Corporation
- Gables Residential
- Automatic Data Processing, Inc.
- American Infrastructure
- Chesterfield County, Virginia
- Buckman Laboratories International, Inc.
- Edward Jones
- Wequassett Resort and Golf Club
- Dollar General Corporation
- Caesars Entertainment Corporation
- Christiana Care Health System
- Shaw Industries, Inc.
- DEFENDER Direct
- Baylor Health Care System
- WellSpan Health
- Afni, Inc
- First Horizon National Corporation
- Aetna Inc.
- Shape Corp
- Nationwide Insurance
- U.S. Security Associates, Inc.
- ESL Federal Credit Union
- Wells Fargo & Co.
- Cerner Corporation
- Northwestern Mutual
- Miami Children’s Hospital
- Century 21 Real Estate LLC
- ConAgra Foods, Inc.
- Bankers Life and Casualty Company and Bankers Conseco Life Insurance Company
- University Hospitals
- Quicken Loans Inc.
- Orkin, LLC
- Tandus Centiva, A Tarkett Company
- Blue Cross & Blue Shield of North Carolina
- Vistage International
- Best Buy
- CarMax, Inc.
- EMC Corporation
- Allied International Credit
- TD Bank
- Florida Blue
- MasterCard Worldwide
- NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Discover Financial Services
- IMG College
- Choice Hotels International
- Western Summit Constructors, Inc.
- Birmingham Water Works
- Tech Mahindra Ltd.
- University of New Mexico Hospitals
- Baptist Health Care Corporation
- First Data Corporation
- VSP Global
- The Aerospace Corporation
- Bass & Associates, P.C.
- Ho-Chunk Gaming - Wisconsin Dells
- Sonic Automotive, Inc.
- Navy Federal Credit Union
- Windstream Communications
- BKD, LLP
- G4S Secure Solutions (USA) Inc.
- Iron Mountain Incorporated
- Valvoline Instant Oil Change
- New York Life Insurance Company
- Healthways, Inc.
- New York Community Bancorp, Inc.
- Kimberly-Clark Corporation
- Carilion Clinic
- Intel Corporation
- ValleyCrest Landscape Companies
- American Fidelity Assurance Company
- SunTrust Banks, Inc.
- Owens & Minor Medical Inc.
- Mountain America Credit Union
- RE/MAX, LLC
- Microchip Technology Inc.
- Schmitt Sussman Enterprises dba PFP
- Special Response Corporation
- Western Union
- Migros Ticaret A.S.
- Cognizant Technology Solutions
- Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts
- One Nevada Credit Union
- Allianz of America, Inc.
- Aditya Birla Minacs
- Veterans Affairs Acquisition Academy
- Smiths Medical
- LQ Management, L.L.C.
- Mars, Incorporated
- BNSF Railway
- BigMachines, Inc.
- Consigli Construction Company, Inc.
- Novo Nordisk Inc.